Last week I started refactoring Skeyer into libskeyer and the demo.The main reason to do this is to:
1) Easily write automated tests to benchmark the performance and precision of Skeyer’s algorithm(s): I’ve realized I need a more objective way to measure the performance and precision of Skeyer than to manually swipe a few words and look at the suggestions and make a wild guess if it is good or not.
2) I have also started writing a Maliit plugin for Skeyer(based on the examples from Maliit-framework): I’ve realized it is important to build the maliit plugin first. That way, I’ll have better idea of constraints on Skeyer, based on my usage of it on a real device. And of course to easily show off Skeyer to everyone. A real world application seems to be much more…. interesting… than a tech demo.
However, this plugin is still a work in progress and needs a lot more work to be usable. Right now I seem to be facing weird flickering issues with the plugin window and can’t even interact with it. I have no clue where to even look for clues. So my immediate plan of action(for this weekend/next weekend) is to first finish off the Maliit plugin. (I’m looking at the Ubuntu Touch/Open WebOS keyboards for inspiration, help, code. Both of them use Maliit.)
I have also started looking at implementing a very interesting new feature for Skeyer, based on the way I’ve been using my Nokia N9 lately (Yup. No other phone seems to beat the N9 experience for me so far). I think this feature will make Skeyer a lot more useful. But I need to really build this feature first to test it’s worth. So I will talk more about this once I have something to show(off? 🙂 ).
To recap, my immediate priorities now are:
1) Finish off the maliit plugin (and dig more into the Ubuntu touch/Open WebOS virtual keyboard).
2) Write the tests/automated benchmarks.
3) Start looking into implementing the interesting feature for Skeyer. I’m thinking of releasing(AND open sourcing) Skeyer, once I have a set of tests and benchmarks. Hmm.. looks like it’s going to be busy weekends for a couple of months 🙂
Update: grrrrr… My hard disk crashed and I lost the work I did on the Refactoring and the Maliit plugin I was working on. So I am having to redo it again. So as usual “expect the delays”…